Our topic this term is ‘Land Ahoy!’ which will be taught through Religious Education and Early Years Foundation Stage areas of learning: Communication and Language, Physical Development, Personal, Social and Emotional Development, Literacy, Mathematics, Understanding the World and Expressive Arts and Design.
In RE, we will be learning about the church’s seasons of Easter, Mary, our Mother, Pentecost and the Holy Spirit and Family Life.
As part of our topic, we will look at the wealth of amazing creatures that live in the ocean, the life and history of pirates and keeping safe on the beach and in the sun.
Here are just some of the many activities that the children will be involved in during the next term:
- Daily phonics lessons to support reading and writing
- Extending our writing using our phonics to write more complex sentences, including punctuating with a capital letter, full stop, question mark and exclamation mark.
- Reading stories, poems and non-fiction texts about sea life and pirates
- Writing facts about sea creatures and pirates, using phonics to sound out
- Simple addition and subtraction using practical objects to support counting
- Doubling and halving
- Learning number bonds to 10 (e.g. 1 + 9, 2 + 8, 3 + 7, etc.)
- Recognising and ordering numerals to 50.
- Repeating patterns- shapes and colours
- Sorting sea creatures according to different criteria
- Comparing lengths and weights of different creatures
- Pirate and ocean crafts to make some colourful displays!
- Learning new pirate songs and rhymes, and sea shanties
- Using instruments and dance to replicate the sounds of the ocean
In some cases, the activities will be guided by the children’s interests.